TCD Logo

TCD Logo

Friday 25 July 2014

Buyer's Remorse #36 - Beast Man 64

After the last episode of Two Crude Dudes when I had no new pickups to share during our “What did you buy” segment at first I thought no that wasn’t possible I must of bought something and just forgotten about it. I checked my Instagram, the Photo Roll on my phone and still nothing. I checked my game room thinking I must have put a few down on a shelf to be filed but alas I really hadn’t picked up anything.

I told Tyson I really needed to pickup some games…..preferably something that I actually wanted or needed, that being said if we would have got to the end of the night and I still hadn’t found anything I probably would have walked away with some piece of crap game. It would have been the perfect opportunity to add Superman 64 to my collection.

 
I ended up taking the day off work partially so I could watch the World Cup and spend some time with my son. But I also knew it would give me and Tyson the opportunity to get a couple extra hours of running around in which could have ended up being crucial in finding some games to buy. Saying we did have the extra time we started at a few places that we don’t frequent as often but walked away empty handed until we got to our usual run of stores.

First thing I spotted was New Super Luigi U on the Wii U. The game isn’t very expensive to begin with but like every other 1st party title it doesn’t really drop in price at the retail stores. Plus if someone trades it in to EB Games they just sell used for 50 cents less than they’re retail price. Anyways I knew that grabbing this one for a really good price might be difficult but in the end it ran me less than $20 so I’m happy with that. With it I also picked up Theatrythem Final Fantasy on 3DS. I’d played the demo of this one and let’s face it the worlds “Final” and “Fantasy” are in the title like I’m not interested. This one was in the case and the price tag wasn’t visible. I had a dollar figure in mind of what I would what to spend on it max so when the employee told me the price I thought about it for a moment and decided that I probably couldn’t talk her down far enough to get to my range so I said I’d pass. Immediately she throws me another figure… I looked at Tyson and thought well it’s still a bit more than I want to but before I could even answer she dropped it a few more dollars and just outside of the range I had in mind. It would have been wrong to pass it up at that point and picked it up as well.



Now neither of these two titles are retro which is what I was really craving when we began the hunt that day. But it felt good to knock of a couple more current wants especially after not having found anything for awhile.

That being said there was almost a primal urge that needed to be quenched in my game buying soul. It was of course to find some NES titles that I needed which as I’ve mentioned countless times this year that it’s easier said then done… or at least finding them at an acceptable price. I would have been happy with even one new title if possible, just something that could help me inch towards the magic 600. I ended up nailing three off the list. Of course compared to what I should have got these games for the prices were the drizzling shits. But the deal was better to purchase multiples as it usually is.



What it feels like shopping at a retail store

Fast forward a couple weeks and I made a small trip out to a few thrift stores this past weekend on my own. The wife was out of town and Tyson was busy so I didn’t make a huge tour of the city just 3 or 4 stops to scratch the itch. With the amount of original X-box that we’ve been playing lately I was checking the piles of cheap X-box games a little closer than I normally do. There was nothing stellar but picked up a couple racing games from series that I enjoy. On my way out I saw an MLS game for PS2 that I didn’t recall having seen in a long time. I thought it could be a good find and figured at the very worst I would have another soccer game to play. Turns out it’s not really worth anything but I saved a few bucks. It was in extremely nice shape which also helped my decision; it looked like it had been played once or twice and then put on a shelf for years.

Aside from that my next couple stops were mostly the usual sports and budget titles that you see over and over at these places. My last stop redeemed the entire trip. Now I’d like to tell you I found some ultimate score but that wasn’t the case. But I came across about 12 boxed Intellivision games. In the end I only needed 4 of them but it was nice to come across a few new ones that I needed. Typically when it comes to Intellivision I see the same titles boxed. It’s the only system that I won’t buy loose carts for. Again wasn’t a crazy deal I’ve never paid more than $3.50 for a boxed Intellivision game as they are relatively plentiful but whenever you come across something unexpected like that it’s always a nice treat. Not to mention the particular thrift store that I was at has become notoriously bad for over pricing anything video game related. A lot of times I just end up there as a habit versus actually thinking I’ll find something.



I think that wraps it all up. It was nice to get a couple hunting trips in since our last episode and while the finds weren’t that juicy I was still able to walk away with a few things that I’m really happy to have in my collection. Thanks for the continued support and please check out the plethora of links below.





Check us out on Twitter @superrobottyson and @rcrhitmantommy

No comments:

Post a Comment