TCD Logo

TCD Logo

Thursday 14 March 2013

Buyer's Remorse #14

The wheels of progress keep turning here at River City Retro. Tyson and I are in the final planning stages of recording our first episode of the “Two Crude Dudes” podcast. But while that has been the most recent focus around here, we of course found some time to go game shopping.

We hit the flea markets on Sunday afternoon and the deals were pretty sparse. I did pick up a boxed copy of Ultimate Air Combat for the NES. I’d never seen this game before and the box was in really nice shape. It was in the range that I’ll pay for lesser known boxed NES games so I picked it up. It helped that it was at least put out by Activision so it can’t be entirely bad, right? The only other thing I grabbed there was a cart only copy of Tomb Raider on GB Color. This was to fill a hole more than anything. I’ve played this game and Lara controls like a car crash victim…..extremely stiff. But it was the last Tomb Raider game I needed to have them all with the exception of the reboot that just got released last week. That will be part of my collection too in good time; I just refuse to pay $60 for it.

That sticker is going to take some work.
Moving along, the pawn shops didn’t have any hidden treasures for me that day so we moved onto the retail shops. Grabbed a couple small PS2 wants but the big pick up on the day was when Tyson walked over to me and handed me Golf Grand Slam boxed and complete for the NES. I already have a cart only copy of this game but with it being an Atlus game Tyson relinquished it to me on the condition that he got whichever cart I didn’t keep. I’ve talked about game buying “karma” before in this blog and Tyson should have some heading his way for this.

I'm going to have all the golf balls in my bag customized with the Atlus logo.
That was it this time around in terms of buying games. As for playing them, it was all about the NES for me. I spent most of my spare time trying to better my Rad Racer score for the Nintendo Age Weekly Challenge. By the end of the week I had done the best I ever have and ended up finishing 14th out of 34 entrants in the challenge. Although, had it not been for a stupid mistake I made which resulted in a crash right before the end of a course, I could have easily hit the top 10. However, I’m extremely happy that I was able to stay competitive with the other people that entered. Going into this week my goal was just to stay out of last place as these people are pretty hardcore. This week’s challenge is Double Dragon II on the highest difficulty. I don’t anticipate being anywhere near the top but it will be fun to participate again.

What's happening to the enemy about sums up my chances in this challenge.
We’re almost to the middle of March as I write this and Tyson and I are getting geared up for the Calgary Expo on April 26-28. There have been lots of great announcements and each week it keeps getting bigger and bigger. If you’re going to be in the Calgary region at the end of April check out www.calgaryexpo.com for more information. Further to that point if any of you readers are from Alberta or Saskatchewan and you know any places to look for deals on games drop us a line at rivercityretro@gmail.com as we’re hoping to get a little game hunting done while we’re on the road.

That will wrap it up this time around. We should be back soon with some more info regarding the podcast and as per usual Tyson and I will be hitting the shops tomorrow looking for deals. So until next time, it’s not hoarding if you alphabetize your games!

No comments:

Post a Comment