TCD Logo

TCD Logo

Friday 22 February 2013

Buyer's Remorse #11 - Justified


Forgive me Father as it has been over 20 days since my last remorse…. What’s that Father? My punishment is to buy more games... I’m way ahead of you!

Welcome back to Buyer’s Remorse the column where we take a look back at our recent video game pickup’s to talk about why they deserved a place in our collection or alternatively why they have filled us with remorse post-purchase. During this time period Tyson and I got out to do some chasing together a couple times. I did find the time to drag the wife out to a few places too.

I'm going to try something a little different this time out. Due to the mass amount of games that I've accrued in this time Tyson commented, more so challenged me if you will to try and justify why each game deserved to be in my collection. So I've revved up the Justification Engine to top gear and am going to give it a shot. Some games are easy and will require very little explanation...others may need to go above and beyond so without further ado. My pick up's thus far in February.



Akai Katana Xbox 360- Love me some Bullet Hell games I don't need to say anymore.

Goldeneye Xbox 360- If there’s a Bond game I don’t have then it’s a game I want. Ignore the EB sticker on the package there's no way I'd pay that for this game.



Star Wars SCD- For $3.99 I would have need to be tested for mental illness if I didn't buy it.

Amazing Spider-Man SCD- Another good game for a very good price. Tyson's reaction made the find 10 times better

Willy Beamish SCD- Like the others was under $5. When it comes to Sega CD/Saturn if it's $5 or under I'll pretty much buy it. I believe Tyson's exact words were "I'll punch you in the face"

Time Gal SCD- This I purchased as a disc only copy online and was on my Top 5 wants for Sega CD. Got it for less than half of what a complete one would run. I had no problem making a case just to have this in my collection.


People on the street don't like if you ask them to please encounter your Daedalus
Daedalus Encounter 3DO- Was my top 3DO want for quite awhile and finally found one online for a price I was willing to pay. After getting my 3DO I read several lists and watched many videos about what the must have titles were and this was one that I had some of the most interest in. I had the opportunity to meet Tia Carrere at C4 comic con last October and really wish I would of had this back then for her to sign.



NES Games- I've come to a point in my NES collection where I have most of my major wants with the exceptions of things that will probably cost a little bit more. As I'm trying to amass as much of a complete set as possible if I can add a loose NES game for around $5 or a boxed copy for $10 I'll pick it up regardless of how good the game actually is. Not pictured in this is a copy of Donkey Kong Classic which I picked up for the sole purpose of being able to participate in this weeks Nintendo Age Challenge.



Lost  Vikings GEN- Have seen this game pop up on several peoples lists of top games for the system. It came with the case so I decided to give it a try.

Silpheed SCD- Tyson had this in his hand first but then decided to pass on it as he found some other things that he wanted instead. Oddly enough I had tried to buy a disc only copy a few weeks earlier on a forum but never heard back from the guy. I took it as a sign that this one should belong to me.

Lethal Enforcers SNES- If a game is put out by Konami I’ll probably show a little more interest in picking it up. I found a copy after going through tray after tray of sports titles at a pawn shop. When he was giving us prices he decided he needed more time with it to find a proper price on the internet. But he had no problem selling me the “Justifier” light gun that went with it. I pretty much got a "come back tomorrow" and he’ll know how much. 20 minutes later we were in another pawn shop and they had this copy for $5....Sold, screw that other guy.


I love golf games...Fore! Which is also the amount of hip replacements Fred Couples has had.
Kirby GB- Simply put it was a game with Kirby in it that I didn’t own.

Mega Man GB- I’ve never played this version of Mega Man and have heard good things.

Red Alarm/Wario Land VB- I recently got a VB controller via  an internet forum for $5. Couple this with the head piece for the VB that I got at a flea market for $5 and voila I all of a sudden had a working Virtual Boy for a grand total of $10. Granted this is going to cost me hundreds of dollars in eye repair down the road but now that I have a working system I've had the desire to get more VB games. I knew nothing about either of these except for the fact that they go into the game slot of a Virtual Boy and that was good enough for me.

Fred Couples Golf GG- This was in my top wants for the Game Gear. Looking forward to playing this as I hear an added bonus if you shoot a round below par you turn into Cyborg Fred Couples and battle against Cyborg Leslie Nielson in a fight to the death........ Wait a minute that might have been a dream.


Summonen are Nights and some of them aren't.

Bubble Bobble Evolution PSP- Supposed to be a good mix of Platforming and Puzzles. $5 was easy to drop on this.

Summon Night GBA- Another of my top wants. I was looking through an old Nintendo Power last year and saw a full page ad for this game and thought it looked awesome. Then I looked to the corner of the page and saw the Atlus symbol and knew I had to own it.

Golden Sun DS- I’d looked at this a few times before. More recently one of the retail stores had it on during Boxing week for $14.99. Found it cheaper and that sealed the deal.


Finally I can understand why Sega felt the need to turn Sonic into a werewolf

Sonic Unleashed- This was the last current gen Sonic game that I needed. It was the cheapest I'd seen this one yet so it was a no brainer pickup.

Operation Darkness- Atlus? Damned near killed us. This leaves Spectral Force 3 as the only Atlus 360 game I'm missing. Well that and Zoids.

Record of Agarest War Zero- Seen this at a pawn shop a month ago but they still wanted $20 for it. Eventually they dropped it down and Tyson got it. Went to Super Store on my lunch break one day and they had it new for $15.

Valkyria Chronicles- When it comes to PS3 I only pick up exclusive titles. If it came out on Xbox I'll buy it for that.


White Knight Chronicles 2- Wanted both games in this series so I picked this one up so I'd have it once I found the first one. Turns out they remastered the first game on this disc as well so I killed two birds with one stone. Since then I've seen 5 copies of the first one for $10. I win.


Turns out there was nothing in this batch that required any major amount of justification and it turns out the moral of this is if it's cheap enough I'll consider buying it. If anything came close to any sort of remorse it would have to be the mass amount of NES games that I purchased. But like I said one of the goals of my collection is to have as close to a complete set as possible so in the end I don't regret the purchases at all.


On the game play front I had a very productive long weekend. I started playing Castlevania Symphony of the Night on Xbox. I've beat this game several times on PS1 so this playthru took under 10 hours to get 200%. I then sunk about 11 more hours into Mass Effect 2 and look forward to getting some more time in this weekend.


I guess that'll wrap things up this time around. Hopefully in the future I won't wait so long to post an update so I can spend less time on listing each game and spend more time talking about why they fit into my collection. As always thanks for supporting the blog, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment