TCD Logo

TCD Logo

Monday 21 October 2013

Buyer's Remorse #25 - The Tommo-Knockers

Hey kiddies!

It's your old pal Super Robot Tyson here, and I'm back with a short, but focused edition of Buyer's Remorse!

Things have been a little lean on the collecting front lately, but I have a few interesting stories to tell. I'm going to save a few of the gory details for the next episode of the Two Crude Dudes podcast as I think the confusion and frustration in my voice will get the message across better than my clumsy words. Speaking of Two Crude Dudes, I'm off work this week and it looks like Tommy might be coming over to record another episode tomorrow! I have a brand new high-tech microphone so the listeners can hear every wet rumble of our beer burps in amazing crisp detail.


Credit to Nintendrawer on DeviantArt for this gem.

Going back to 2012, you might remember that I was quite jealous of Tommy when he got a Neo Geo X Gold system for his birthday. I know that the system got a lot of abuse for being a sub par emulator and not the best tribute to the Neo Geo in the gameplay department. I still wanted one because the retro appeal is still high with the cool joystick, AES charge dock, and throwback packaging. There is no way I'd pay 250 bucks for one of them, but I can't afford an AES or MVS. The closest I would get is getting arrested for DUI after an MVA. 

I had been price watching the Gold set on Future Shop.ca and it finally dropped to $99.99 with free shipping. Since I'm a cheap-ass bastard, I decided to wait longer, until I woke up recently to a tweet that said SNK-Playmore had killed the Neo Geo X and it's body had washed up on the riverbank. Tommo has since fought back and vowed to keep selling the unit, but I anticipated that a legal battle was about to start and the pussies at Future Shop would be pulling it off the website soon. I ordered one and less than a week later it vanished entirely from the site. 


A coffin, thanks to SNK Play-Less...
I have played a lot of the system and the unit feels great in your hands and the stick and face buttons are quite solid. The display is pretty shitty, but since I'm not a crazy Neo Geo elitist, it's still a blast to play. I hit ebay and ordered the Mega Pack so that I could complete the 36 games that are available and also get the firmware update and charging cable. This thing is not worth more than a hundred bucks on it's own, but it's a neat little chapter in the Neo Geo lifespan. 

Next up is the small amount of games I picked up. It's hockey season in Canada and that means it's time to pay less than 5 bucks for older hockey games! All five of the games below cost me less than $25 combined. I'm also looking forward to some D&D on my PSP.


I think Randy Orton is naked. 

He's making that face after seeing Randy Orton naked. 



That's about it for new games! I dropped a crapload of cash buying a new 46" HDTV and some furniture to set up a TV/gaming area on the third floor bedroom of my house so now I have more options to set up consoles. The third floor also has better room for motion controls, but I'd probably just fall out a window playing Dragonball Z on Kinect. 

In closing, I recently had a problem with my Xbox 360! It would not let me sign on because it thought I stole my own account. It took 5 hours in total to fix this through dozens of emails and chat support sessions. Finally I got on the phone with a guy who knew what he was doing and it was resolved, but for a while there I nearly threw my fucking 360 out the window. I'll tell the whole story on Two Crude Dudes using my best sour sarcasm and racist voices!



I'd like to close this blog with a quote from Tommy when I told him that my Gamerscore and Gamertag may be lost forever in a hurricane of Microsoft retardation:

"I can't imaging losing my Gamerscore. I'd probably club myself to death with the Xbox power adapter and broadcast it on Kinect for everyone to see..." 

Super Robot Tyson

No comments:

Post a Comment