TCD Logo

TCD Logo

Thursday 31 January 2013

Buyer's Remorse #9 - Aksys and Allies

Welcome back to another chronicle in the game collecting life of Super Robot Tyson! I added a few things to the shelves of the game cave recently and since it's too freakin' cold in my basement to actually play the damn things, I'll just photograph them and talk about them here instead. 

After Tommy hooked up with another game collector (via the personal ads on Kijiji) and broke his heart and then stole all his games, I was feeling a little empty inside, knowing that Tommy's new boxed NES games were keeping him warm. The only "Breath of Fire" in my house was my pizza and coffee belches that I let loose while playing Mortal Kombat and Battle Fantasia. 

I decided that a small solo chasing trip after work one day was a good idea as my wife was sleeping off a night shift and I didn't want to wake her up too early. It was colder than a penguin's perineum outside, but I forged on into the pawn zones. 

Unlike Tommy, a Lannister always pays his debts.
I did pretty well as it was the last round of the $5.00 sales that had provided much bounty in the past few weeks. I've noticed that a lot of our favorite haunts have marked back up to ten dollars each or two games for fifteen bucks. I'll have to dust off my negotiating skills as I hate paying more than five bucks for a common current generation game. I was thrilled to walk away with two of the PS3 Atelier games, as I always figured it would take a long time to find those. I also got offered a date by a prostitute while walking back to my car. Not even -50 degrees with the windchill can keep those hard working girls down! Check it out:


I'm sure I'll have Skyrim beaten in no time...
The rest of the week passed without any excitement except for the pure unfiltered rage that poured from my body while trying to beat Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat 9. I must have died 200 times trying to beat him at the end of story mode. I only had the difficulty set to "Medium", but that cheap son of a bitch hammered the crap out of me. I'm usually a pretty calm and calculating gamer, but I actually had to pause the game at one point to punch myself in the face four times. Shao Khan can eat Goro's double-headed dick, as far as I'm concerned. I finally changed the difficulty down to "Easy" and just waited out the timer twice to finally gain a win over him and see the credits. I screamed victory like Sindel and nearly made my cat go deaf. 



The usual Friday chase was a lean one as like Tommy mentioned, we avoided the deadly driving conditions and decided to suck back beers, eat chicken wings, and watch the Jets beat the Penguins. My big pickup of the night was a copy of Sonic CD (finally!) and I also got PS2 Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 1 for the hilarious price of $0.49 at EB Games. What would you get in return if you tried to trade it in? One Peso? A pubic hair? EB/Game Stop is so stoopid... 


Wonder BREAD might be more fun than the game in the middle...

On Saturday morning I decided to take a look at a local flea market, but there was nothing of interest except the same overpriced re-sellers peddling first party Nintendo games at 200% markup. I swear, I could take a dump that is shaped like Mario and a flea market seller would grab it and try to sell it on his table for sixty bucks. I popped into a couple pawn shops after the flea market and made a few purchases. Akai Katana is a Shmup I've had on my radar for a while now and it just seems like a game that will be rare and haunt me down the road unless I buy it now.
Hard to believe one is a shoot 'em up and the other is a strategy RPG about breasts or something...
Anyways, that's about all I can tell you from the collecting world for now. I'm excited that we will be making the trip out West for the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo in April and I'm planning to wrap up fighting game month tonight by beating up Tommy online. I'm also considering looking for an electric space heater I can use in my basement so I don't freeze my 1-Up Mushroom when I try to play down there. 



That's all for now! Keep alphabetizing those games so your family can't have an intervention!  It's not hoarding if you alphabetize!

Super Robot Tyson 

No comments:

Post a Comment